Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Recent story about my neighborhood

Yesterday morning, at around 5:15am I awoke to yelling: "OPEN THE DOOR! OPEN THIS DOOR NOW!"My first thought was domestic violence.

I listened further, but the shouting ended. My girlfriend was already up, coincidentally. A few minutes later, after my alarm had gone off (this happens at 5:25am) she came down and said "there's police activity going on. A bus, and guys with guns and stuff"

Yep, our neighbors got raided. When I left for work at 6:05, they were still searching the house, and two of the male members of the family were in custody.We weren't terribly surprised by this whole event. It was the "Bad House" of the neighborhood. I saw one of the guys, "Rob" doing a walk-by money exchange, presumably for drugs, right off a main arterial, about 10 blocks from the house. Dummy. It was really a matter of time.I can hear the value of my house rising as I type this.

Somewhere along the way I'd left a message on the Narcotics division voice mail about my general concerns. They never called me back, so I'd assumed I'd been blown off. Maybe they did listen to my message!

No comments: