Friday, May 20, 2005

Summary of work projects

Since our JCAHO inspection, I've been trying to build a team to help me sort out our closet of medical supplies. Over a year ago, two clinic areas were merged, and all of their supply carts were jammed together. As a result, there have been large redundancies, askew par levels, and other inefficiences.

Since I have no formal medical training, and don't personally use any of the supplies, I wanted direct nursing input on the ideal layout of the supply carts. I spent a good deal time and effort managing schedules, soliciting help, and generally trying to put this together. In the end, one nurse pledged two hours and a second said she'd stop by and at least help with her insight.

On the day when it was finally to come together (Wednesday), something came up at home, so I had to do some scurrying around and had to leave the plumber (I had reason to believe she was trustworthy, but still, it's discomforting to leave a stranger alone in one's home) alone in our house in order to get to work for kick-off. I didn't want to leave the nurses waiting, and after all this time, I couldn't just reschedule.

I was then stood up and wound up 'pulling a Kendra' and doing it all essentially by myself. If I'd known it was going to work out that way, I could have done it six weeks ago. Times like these, I have great sympathy for George W's approach to the Iraqi invasion. Consensus building does not work (I joke! Mostly.)

There are a few things I need to remember to do soon. I'll need the updated list to do it right.

More table paper
move those top shelf syringes over with the other syringes
adjust otoscope specula pars - no way do we need that many of all those sizes
follow up on the derm biopsy kits
follow up on the blue cover thing for derm
add small masks
write an alphabetical catalog

I also want to get rid of another cart. We have a few empty drawers, and a few high pars; I believe we can merge the smaller cart into the others. Alternately, I could switch out a large cart for a smaller one.

No comments: