Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Post Experiment Debrief

The day is winding down, no one quit, no one was fired, there were no tears (that I saw), and no one took a swing, so all things considered I feel good about our experiment.

A lot of people like the system quite a bit; the positive feedback came primarily from the floats, who are accustomed to a little chaos, don't feel at home and are happy to have a system to help them.

Some problems: One clinic wound up with the same number of rooms, but spread out. Physicians and PCC's had to walk twice as far as they normally do. In this space, PCC's already walk too much, so this is significant.

There was no plan for the transition between morning clinics and afternoon. It worked because it had to, and because I was there to nudge things along. I need to come up with something better.

There were gaps in education. Some folks didn't quite get the cards, others didn't know where some of the rooms were. I'm not too concerned about this, but it does illustrate how I need to adjust my instructions.

I don't know if it's an actual problem, or just perceived: there was lots of chaos during peak hours. That is to be expected, but I was hoping to reduce peak hour chaos. I don't know if that happened.

One person is thinking like a hobbit. She has a good situation and she wants to keep it that way. She doesn't realize that people are dying (not literally) around the corner. Or if she does realize it, she feels bad, but doesn't feel compelled to get involved. She doesn't understand that their problem is our problem.

We're trying at least one more day. After tomorrow I'll take a break and see what we can improve.

I don't know if we reduced the low level muda, which is the whole goal. It probably would have been a good idea to come up with some metrics for this experiment. I wonder if there's a way to get the results of the family experience survey from today's appointments. After all, that is the whole point.

No comments: