Sunday, May 08, 2005

I wanna be the Human Torch

Last month I took and posted a "Which Marvel Hero are You" quiz. Apparently I'm the Human Torch from the Fantastic Four. I didn't think twice about it, until a few days ago.

The question to myself was, which comic book character's life would I really like to live? Spider-Man works too hard. He holds a day job, has family commitments, and spends all night fighting evil. Captain America has no fun and has no real powers. Tony Stark is a business tycoon and an alcoholic.

Reed Richards has a pretty good deal. He has plenty of time to pursue his interests, he is financially secure (quite wealthy in fact), his powers are fun he is popular and doesn't worry about a secret identity. He does, however, have a wicked arch nemesis in Dr. Doom. This is a legitimate concern, because Doom is formidable and dangerous. Reed always has to look over his shoulder, always has to improve, always has to beat Doom.

That's when I remembered the Human Torch. Johnny Storm has all the benefits of Reed Richards (wealth, no day job and no identity) without the drawbacks (no arch nemesis or guilt over turning Ben into the Thing), and with better powers.

I wanna be the Human Torch.

No comments: