Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Root Causes of Disharmony

Lately I’ve been blending my interest in ‘harmony’ with my professional focus of root cause analyses. In my life right now, I know disharmony when I see it. I especially know it within myself. If something is stuck in my craw, it can take some contemplative digging to determine what I’m cranked about. Usually whatever I’m cranked about isn’t the root cause.

This has brought to light at least one emotional dilemma that I must navigate: I despise and get very stressed when I’m stuck in a bad plan – disharmony! – so I tend to at least review plans as their devised. As a result, I wind up making a lot of plans; normally I don’t mind, and I generally find it satisfying. It is, however, an additional responsibility, which brings its own stress - and… disharmony!

Identifying this bind is already a great start: it’s obvious that in any given situation, I have to either embrace the planning and coordination, or enjoy the relative lack of responsibility. I do appreciate when a strong, knowledgeable and coordinated leader steps up and makes a plan that I can, at least, live with.

No comments: