Friday, February 13, 2009

Reflections on Stranger in a Strange Land

I first encountered this book at the tail end of my Heinlein phase, in 1994. This was also the beginning of my first stab at becoming a science fiction novelist, and, I realize now, that terrible book that I wrote was more than a little influenced by this work. I also realize that Heinlein uses some tricky narrative styles that probably confused me. For example, he switches tenses and person a time or two. It works for him, but as a very new, not very good writer, it was not something I should have been fooling with.

As science fiction, it holds up in many ways; in other ways, less so. The hard science is not very interesting. There’s nothing terribly innovative about the one world government, the flying, automated cars, or the video and audio tapes that appear occasionally. On the other hand, Mars and its inhabitants are fairly interesting. Good thing too, since the relationship between human and Martian drives the entire novel.

What I found to be most interesting and most disappointing was the social commentary. The book makes it clear that Heinlein enjoys and has great affection for women. It also strongly suggests a line of deep sexism in his thinking. Even the more central women are cast as purely supporting characters. They are intelligent, attractive and varied; yet all the really important actions and decisions are left to the male characters.

I deeply appreciate the concept of Water Brother as portrayed here. Of course, it reflects an idealized circle of friends. Since I don’t live in an idealized world, it breaks down when applied to my reality. For example, in this novel’s concept, the circle of water brothers is ever inclusive, and water brothers are always trusted to be wise in their inclusion of new members. In my life, I surely have close friends analogous to Michael Smith (The Man from Mars)’s water brothers; yet, these friends occasionally have close friends who I would not choose to associate with, let along ‘share water’ with.

Heinlein’s view of human sexuality is also compelling. These characters are polyamorous (though the word hadn’t been invented yet), have multiple partners, and yet, they are not at all licentious. All of their sex is a means for ‘growing closer.’ In some ways this makes it simultaneously more and less casual than sex is commonly experienced in our culture.

There’s also a nice bit about good kissing. The best kisses are those in which those involved are focused on the experience itself, and are not concerned about the before and after.

No comments: