Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Long Weekend

I’ve posted some pictures to Facebook, and lots more to Flickr. If I know you, and you want to see them, let me know.

Travel:

I got a speeding ticket just outside of Ritzville. The officer was very polite; I didn’t try to explain anything. I knew I was guilty, I knew he’d caught me. On a whole, the experience was pleasant enough, aside from the bill at the end.

It snowed while we were at the birthday / Super Bowl party, which added some adventure for the five mile drive back to Colville. I got to practice my snow skills, and realized that my motorcycle experience has helped develop my sense of angles and friction. I had to double back at one point, because I slide through the intersection I was supposed to turn at. Overall, it wasn’t a sweat though.

The lingering snow kept me cautious from Colville to Spokane, but didn’t hinder much. It probably did contribute, however, to a hole in my rental car’s tire. The car had a little light that warned me of low tire pressure, and I heard the hissing when I stopped for supplies.

As we’ve all probably noticed, pay phones are becoming rare; what’s even rarer are phone books. It was easy to get instructions with a phone call or two, but 411 left me on hold for quite awhile, and I was very much at their mercy. Then I had to call the tire place for directions. All while the air continued to hiss out of the tire. I did kind of wish I had a more advanced cel phone. Google Maps sure would have been handy.

Gaming:

We played a very odd and super fun game of BSG. Humans won, and the player with Tom Zarek was President, Admiral and the only human not in the brig at the game’s end. If the Cylon player had been more familiar with the game, the outcome may have changed. I am sure, however, that my strategy of early jumps, with dice adjusting cards, and Helo’s re-roll ability is the key to success. The game took nearly four hours; I think it could take less time with all experienced players. It always takes four hours with newbies though.

The next night we played a hand of Space Munchkin. This game took about an hour and was also lots of fun.

Alcohol:

We went out for beers and dinner the first night, but then pretty much quit drinking. Even though we were up late, no one suffered from a hangover, and no one was really ‘drunk.’ We didn’t have any alcohol at the Super Bowl / Birthday Party. While I can hardly imagine not drinking for my birthday, our fun was not at all impinged. After all, there was a puppy... and football. How we’ve changed…

Duration:
Two nights and two days seem just about right. I would have liked a few more hours on that first day, but I had to get my long run in, and the travel (see above) takes several hours.

No comments: