Sunday, February 10, 2008

Washington Caucus

Yesterday was the Washington Caucus. Like all good Democrats, Nora and I attended, along with 1500 of our neighbors. We all packed into a high school cafeteria, divided by precinct and worked through the process for choosing delegates on behalf of our precinct.

The caucusing process reminds me of Unix. Whereas a primary would accomplish the same outocme (selecting delegates toward the goal of picking a Democratic nominee), the caucus in out in the open, kind of grubby, more work, and somehow more satisfying. At least, I imagine Unix is satisfying for those who use it. I can't be bothered myself.

Our precinct had over 60 people attend, which made for nearly impossible discussion, and no real debate. Four years ago the caucus was also very robust, but only about dozen people from my precinct of the time attended. That allowed for a more relaxed discussion and for some reasonable strategizing.

Our neighborhood was very Barak Obama oriented, with a handful of Hillary supporters. Of our six total delegates, five went for Obama, the other for Clinton.

Personally I never found the final lever that led me to a decision. That reminds me, I need to see who won Washington.

No comments: