Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Expanded Universes

The quality of novel franchises, as a rule, varies immensely. I’m intrigued to venture into World of Warcraft based fiction, but wouldn’t dare without a recommendation of some kind. I’ve heard through one podcast or other (probably the WoW Insider, could be the Instance) that Tides of Darkness by xxx Rosenberg and Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden are the best. I’ve been considering dipping my toe back into the Star Wars expanded universe of fiction, but I didn’t care much for the first round of novels written by Timothy Zahn.

On that note, I downloaded the 14 day trial version of Star Wars: Galaxies yesterday. I’ve been playing WoW almost exclusively for around 6 months, and have been longing for some science fiction gaming. The character modeling impresses me; unlike WoW, you can control your character’s height, and you have some more freedom of camera movement during character creation. I’ve always wished that WoW had a more Simsesque character personalization.

No comments: