Friday, August 26, 2005

Psychic Energy

I was elected President of the Condo Association last Saturday. I can't go into many details since much of the association communicates via email, and I wouldn't want to be indiscreet.

Thus far, the position has been very psychically draining. The new board (all of whom I like and respect) inherited some baggage that will take some time to work through. This has not left much brain energy for blogging.

I also had a houseguest for a week or so, and guests always change the dynamic of one's household. We had a great time, and I'm glad he was here, but it was another event that kept me from blogging.

I wonder if I'll ever get used to this level of stress. So far I'm doing okay, but I was exhausted after the election. I ran the meeting, it went for an hour and a half, and there were some powerful personalities and important issues. I was so focused on the process that I barely registered the content.

I wonder how professional politicians deal with the constant conflict and juggling of personalities. I imagine they tend to be more extroverted than I am. I'm really a split; I enjoy being the center of attention, but it drains me. I can't keep it up forever. Before too long I have to crawl in a quiet hole to recharge.

No comments: