Friday, August 12, 2005

7 Habits

I'm working to incorporate the "7 habits of Highly Effective People" into my daily life. My main focus is on "Doing first things first" or however Covey phrases it, and on "Seeking first to understand, then to be understood." That one is particularly challenging and useful. No one listens as well as they should. Well, no one that I know anyway. I'm starting to notice who is a good listener and who isn't.

This has also got me thinking about real world habits of effective people. I had expected the book would be more practical and ground level. While I'm not criticizing the scope of Covey's work, I, at least, could benefit from actual physical postive habits.

For example, "Never lose your composure." That's a good one. I'm much better at that one at this point in my life than in the past.

Another is "walk with your head up, eyes raised, and be aware of your surroundings." This is especially important in the city, and when crossing the street. It also applies to the work environment. It's good to notice acquaintances and friends, and it's important to take responsibility for your own safety when dealing with traffic.

"Really try to remember people's names when you meet them. If possible, shake hands and say their name at the moment of introduction." That gives you a fighting chance of name recognition.

"At least glance at everything you sign or otherwise agree to."

"When searching for something, look where it's supposed to be. Even if someone else just looked there, look there again. Then look where other people might think it's supposed to be. Then where it was supposed to be at a different time. Really expect to find the thing you're looking for." This is wordy. I am a good finder, and this is the forumula for my success.

"Pick your battles." This is cliche by now, I'm sure. It's an important habit though.

"Take care of yourself." There that's seven. This is also essentially Covey's 7th habit. He calls it "sharpen the saw."

No comments: