Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Lessons from 21 Miles

Yesterday’s run was very difficult for a number of mostly unrelated reasons. I will list each difficulty along with what I suspect to be its root cause and my plan (if any) for countermeasure.

Problem: my back felt extremely tired and weak around mile 15.

Root Cause Analysis: I was wearing a long sleeved cotton t-shirt over a synthetic undershirt. While I didn’t get rained on, the sweat absorbed through the entire shirt and literally felt heavy. I believe the strain from running with that additional weight made my back sore.

Countermeasure: buy a better (synthetic and marathon ready) long sleeved shirt.
*******
Problem: general exhaustion for the last third of the run (approximately 10 miles in).

Root Cause Analysis: 1) While running up Holgate, to reach the spine of Beacon Hill, I hit a phase of good music. My pace was brisk, and eventually I passed a bicycle. While I felt great on my way up, once I hit the top, I thought my heart would explode. I was especially tired after that.
2) I didn’t eat much the day and morning before my run. It’s very likely that my overall nutritional status wasn’t where it should be for a 20+ mile run.

Countermeasure: 1) don’t sprint up hills; remember that there are many miles to be travelled.
2) Eat and drink well the day before.
***********
Problem: my toe bled some during the run. There appears to be no overall negative affects here.

Root Cause Analysis: This could have been caused by my socks and/or shoe fit. I have three different kinds of socks that I typically wear, and only one kind of shoe.

Countermeasure: use different, higher quality socks. I already own some that I think will work better.
**********
Problem: I experienced knee soreness less than halfway into my run. This led to inflammation, during and after the run and some weakness after.

Root Cause Analysis: Root cause unknown. This possibly has to do with my running form and mechanics. My shoes are good and well within their life span.

Countermeasure: none for now. I expect to be able to run again tomorrow, as scheduled. If problems persist, I may need medical attention.

No comments: