Saturday, October 04, 2008

Ayn's Journal

I think I'll continue writing journal entries from my D&D character's perspective, and I may as well post that material here. We had a major battle during Wednesday's session. It was every bit as exciting as a video game boss-battle; really it was a little more exciting in some ways. In Dungeons and Dragons, there aren't save points to go back to. It's very possible for a character to really die, especially at relatively low levels, and often the consequences for defeat are significant. Fun stuff!

Ayn’s Journal Entry 2 – Kalarel

Shortly after the battle with the priest, we learned that Kalarel waited in the chamber below; the only way down was through a hole in the floor.

Like the priest, Kalarel seemed interested in negotiation; while there was little doubt that it would end in blood, Kalarel agreed to allow us down into his chamber, so that we could continue the discussion face to face. This allowed us all to climb down the rope and collect ourselves before the battle began.

Before the break down of negotiations, Kalarel admitted that dozens, if not hundreds of sacrifices had been required to move the ritual this far forward. The blood of these innocents still pooled in the chamber and dripped into another area below. This blood must be paid for. Kalarel’s death was only the beginning. Just as the innocents’ blood dripped red from Blackscale after the battle, so will the blood of the guilty conspirators drip from my blade. Justice will prevail in Winterhaven.
********
I must also comment on the nobility with which my cohorts conducted themselves. I’m not sure how we survived: after I destroyed the wight that Jack had kept occupied for most of the battle, I was struck by something… a blast from Kalarel perhaps, and all went dark. I awoke several minutes later, covered in blood. Had one of us failed, had one of us lapsed in courage or power, we would have perished, Shadraxil would have come through the portal, and Winterhaven would have been lost.

I fear that that once the business in Winterhaven is concluded, I may have to take my leave when I continue my journey home to Baldur’s Gate.

No comments: