Sunday, July 06, 2008

Summer Vacation 2008

First, a quick list of what we did:

  • Drove to Colville
  • Checked in at Benny's - had to have a 'smoking room' for the first two days because Grangers had taken the others for the weekend.
  • Gathered with Nick and Dean
  • Mexican food and margaritas at Rancho Chico, then drinks at The Acorn. The food disappointed slightly, but the beers did not.
  • Next day, I ran four miles.
  • Dean came over to the motel, and we played Munchkin Cthulu for the first time. Munchkin is a great game, and perfect for the group. I believe Nora won the first game (hooray!).
  • Nora, Dean and I drove to Spokane for The Party with Tess and Mitzi at Mitzi's place.
  • There are many pictures from this party; it was awesome in many ways. Everyone loves Nora (hooray!).
  • Tony and Nick met us there. David stayed in Colville in preparation of The Three Days of Hay.
  • We drove back that night. Dean was feeling kinda chatty, which kept me awake. Thank goodness.
  • On Sunday, Nora and I ate at Park Place, the restaurant next to Benny's. The food was not very good. A particularly obnoxious right winger sat at a table next to us, holding court with his friends. It was particularly frustrating that he had a couple valid points wrapped up in his ignorance and meanness. In retrospect, this may have taken place on Saturday morning.
  • We had lunch at an oasis of good food and good service called The Courthouse Cafe. Everyone in or near Colville should eat there often. Nora had salad. Yummy! Tony met us there with his kids, on his way homeward.
  • I ran six miles.
  • Then we switched to a better, non smoking room, with a king sized bed! Hooray!
  • Dean, Nora and I played Clue and Mille Bourne.
  • We met up with Nick and introduced him to Munchkin Cthulu.
  • On Monday, Tony and I ran 10 miles. It was awesome. Tony kept me to my 8 minute mile, but proved a very even keeled and entertaining running companion.
  • Dean came by after his half day's work at the shop with his Dad. I believe we played more Munchkin Cthulu, then headed up to Nick's. I'm pretty sure I'm mixing up some of these details.
  • Cafe Italiano was closed, so we went to Tony's. I had a pesto dish which was very good. I believe we went to Nick's place after.
  • I didn't run on Tuesday.
  • Nora swam a lot, I swam a little.
  • Dean and Tony came by around 4ish, and Tony learned Munchkin Cthulu.
  • Nick came by around 5:15ish.
  • I think Tony had to leave, and the rest of us went out for pizza (Westside Pizza. The name makes no sense to me. Technically, it's on the east side of Colville. Nora suggested it has to do with the westside of Colville.)
  • I think I got my days mixed up again: I"m pretty sure we at at Cafe Italiano on Tuesday. Probably we went to Tony's on Sunday and Westside Pizza on Monday. Anyway, whenever it was that we went to Cafe Italiano, the experience was wonderful. It was sparsely attended, and they closed as soon as we left; the food was delicious, and the service was friendly and attentive.
  • Then we watched Little Miss Sunshine. We invented a process for making the decision, since we all had different movies we wanted to see.
  • Wednesday, I ran 8 miles. Whew, that was a tiring one. It was hot, I forgot my hat AND my sunglasses.
  • Then we packed up, had breakfast at the Courthouse Cafe again, did a little shopping and headed for Northport!
  • Nora and I had lunch at the Mustang Grill, before checking in at Lazy-Daze. The food was great! They had garden burgers!
  • I'll try to get to the second half of our vacation today or tomorrow. I'll need some time to describe our days at Lazy Daze.

1 comment:

Nora said...

I'm amazed you remembered this much detail. Somewhere in there were deluxe Jo-Jos and grilled cheese and much more beer at The Acorn, as well.