Friday, July 18, 2008

Food

I’ve been thinking about food a lot lately. This is new to me, as I’ve not been very food oriented for my entire life. Sure, there’ve always been things I’ve liked more than others, but I rarely paid much attention.

I guess this shift came from watching a few too many episodes of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. It’s a good show, and while it features food, it’s also about travel, and I really enjoy Bourdain’s commentary, which runs throughout the show.

Slowly, his intensity for food as rubbed off on me. It doesn’t take a professional chef to know that the smell that wafts from Subway isn’t right, or to notice when a dish at a restaurant is lazily planned or prepared. Even I know that there’s no reason to use American cheese. Ever.

I’m also re-evaluating my vegetarianism. I’ve been off meat for something around ten years, so I think it’s time to evaluate. I already know that I won’t be reintroducing beef into my diet. It still takes eight times the resources to grow a cow to feed a person as it would to just feed the person. I’m also not very enthused about chicken. I suppose organic / free range chickens might be okay to eat. Forget about pork (I do still miss bacon though).

Mostly, I’m thinking about certain kinds of fish. Just two days ago I purchased Bottomfeeder, How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood by Taras Grescoe. Even in the introduction it’s clear that some, if not most, fish should be avoided for a mix of environmental and health reasons. However, it sounds like there are many other kinds that are healthy and thriving. After I finish the book and understand the arguments, I’ll make my decisions.

While I haven’t historically been a huge seafood fan, as I mentioned above, my relationship with food has evolved since I quite eating anything with a nervous system.

No comments: