Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sports Drinks

Now that I'm running a lot, I've taken a renewed interest in sports drinks.

So far, Accelerade seems best. It has sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup found in Powerade and Gatorade. It also has some protein, which is also good for me. As a vegetarian, protein intake is something I need to watch. I've had a little trouble finding a reliable source of Accelerade; even the stores that carry it, don't have it in stock reliably, and they often don't have more than one flavor in stock at a time.

This led me to examine Gatorade's current offerings. Nowadays, there's Gatorade Fierece, Gatorade a.m., Gatorade Tiger (licensed by Tiger Woods), Gatorade Rai... and all seem to come in a handful of flavors.

The thing is, all those products HAVE THE SAME FORMULA! There's no nutritional difference between the different Gatorades. Even the A.M. formula! According to the Gatorade marketing department, Gatorade A.M. has flavors that one might like to taste when exercising in the morning.

Now, Gatorade does carry G2 which is a lower calorie verison; at least that is functionally different than the others. That doesn't help me any, but I can see why someone would be interested.

No comments: