Saturday, June 14, 2008

Dr. Drew Pinsky

I like Dr. Drew. I completely believe that he wants to help people, and that he has authentically dedicated his life to that end. I also respect his competence: he really does help people, and I completely trust what he says when talking about addiction. When I think of a Paladin in the Dungeons and Dragons sense, Dr. Drew fits that bill.

He is full of shit sometimes: he definitely has a bias toward normality and conventionality. The thing about those Lawful Good Paladin types is they see the world in black and white. Sometimes that's appropriate. Sometimes it misses the mark and blinds them to the nuances that make people fun. For example, I wouldn't go to him for sex advice. I don't think he gets kink, exploration of sexual identity, non-monogamy, or any of that dirty stuff that Dan Savage is so good at.

No comments: