Saturday, July 09, 2005

Mayor proposes stricter rules for strip clubs

Mayor Greg Nickels proposed new rules for strip clubs yesterday, including a virtual ban on lap dances, that could hurt existing clubs and keep new ones from opening in Seattle.

The mayor's proposal would bar strippers from getting within four feet of customers, in effect eliminating the closer contact that often occurs with lap dances and table dances. It also would require brighter lighting, prohibit customers from directly tipping dancers, and hold owners and managers responsible for violations by dancers.

Some of the proposed strict rules have been upheld by state and federal courts and should withstand legal challenges, said Regina LaBelle, the mayor's legal adviser. LaBelle said the mayor wants to keep new clubs from opening.

One club manager was disappointed with the proposal. "The morality police are out," said Keith Jackson, a manager at the Déjà Vu club downtown. "My take is that rules and regulations are already in place. Enforcement of those should be enough instead of adding new laws or rules."

The mayor's proposed restrictions are prompted, in part, by a federal lawsuit challenging the city's 1988 moratorium on new clubs.
Isn't it bad enough that we can't have alcohol in strip clubs? I used to support and respect Mayor Greg Nickels, but we are on opposite sides of the fence on this one. This proposal shows a fundamental policy of legislating personal behavior based on a bias toward 'morality.' This sort of legislation is what I expect from the Chrisitan Coalition, the Taliban or other Fundamentalist Groups. I don't expect this in the liberal oasis of Seattle Washington.

There is definitely an element of the mayor raining on my parade. I enjoy strip clubs. I enjoy going in to relax, getting the attention from the girls, and I enjoy having a beer while I do it. Already my beer is forbidden in the puritanical throwback state. Now, the mayor wants to abstract the experience further.

I don't care about the lap dances. I enjoy them, but I could go either way. The four foot rule is silly, not being allowed to tip the dancers directly is absurd, and the lighting requirements are completely stupid.

Frankly, I'd rather switch to the model found in Portland, Oregon: strippers are found in bars. Lap dances don't exist, but patrons can sit up close to the stage, usually by tipping the dancer a dollar per song. That way you can have your drink, and get up close and flirt with the dancer.

This is not about protecting the population from some threat, this is another case of the government legislating morality. Please contact Mayor Nickels and tell him what you think: http://www.seattle.gov/mayor/contact.htm

No comments: