Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Volunteerism

Our new president has me thinking about volunteering.

I know I'll have to be kinda picky or else I won't have fun and I won't stick with it. What follows is just the beginning of my considerations:

What I don’t want to do:

Volunteer for my employer
Sort (or do anything with) children’s clothes
Dispense juice and cookies to blood donors
Cold call anyone
Go door to door

What I want

I want to do something fun, or something mundane with fun people
I want it to feel meaningful
I don’t want to get stressed out in that ‘bad stress’ way

Bonus:

I can use and improve my professional skills along the way

Charities or Non-profits I’m Interested In

Northwest Harvest
ACLU
Democratic Party
Planned Parenthood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are thinking about volunteering. If you don't find a gig you like and want to organize your own service activity with friends, neighbors, or coworkers - give VolunteerSpot a try. Simple online scheduling and signups that anyone can initiate. We've created a neighborhood posse to keep the corner park clean - several of us signed up to pick up trash, scrub graffiti and plant the beds. www.VolunteerSpot.com/