Monday, August 11, 2008

NFL Preseason

Friday night’s Seahawks / Vikings preseason game was everything a Seahawks fan could hope for. The starters and known back-ups played well, there were no significant injuries, and we got a good look at the newbies playing for roster spots.

The post Alexander era running game made its debut: Julius Jones and former back-up Maurice Morris performed solidly; there really seems to be something to the revamped running game designed for ‘hit the hole’ guys like Morris and Jones.

One interesting ripple was that rookie Justin Forsett had a notably better game than veteran T.J. Duckett. I don’t know the details of Duckett’s contract, but I do know that he isn’t some A-list superstar who’s guaranteed a spot on the team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Forsett beats him out of that roster spot. I suppose they could put Forsett on the practice squad, but that’s risky: practice squad guys can be signed to another team at any time.

I’m in an odd position with the Washington Redskins this year. I’m a Jim Zorn fan. I want him to succeed. However, the team name is one of the few genuinely offensive team brands in professional or college sports. In general, I have no objection with American Indian based mascots, such as ‘Chiefs,’ ‘Warriors,’ or ‘Braves,’ just as I don’t mind North or Central European mascots such as the ‘Vikings’ or ‘Saints.’ ‘Redskins’ however is something else entirely. ‘Redskin’ is a derogatory term. While it may not have the kick it used to have, it hasn’t been entirely reclaimed either. I put it squarely in the same category as the Cleveland Indians’ Chief Wahoo logo. Both should be banished.

You won’t hear me leading a ‘Go Redskins’ cheer, but I probably will quietly follow the team for the next few years, and quietly pull for their success.

No comments: