Sunday, August 03, 2008

Fred Alexander, RIP

Fred Alexander worked at Children's for 11 years. I came to know him around four years ago, when I was working as the Ambulatory Facilities and Equipment coordinator. I found broken things, I called B&E, and often Fred was sent to fix the problem.

He was a very good natured and professional man; for the last couple years, whenever he saw me in the hall, he'd say, "Uh, oh, there's trouble..." and we'd both laugh.

He died last week, of natural causes. There was a memorial today at the hospital. It's amazing what a person doesn't know about another person's life. I think at work, we connect with people generally on a couple levels, and that's often the end of it. For example, Fred was in the Marines, and was a huge sports fan. I was in the Army and am a huge NFL fan, and a moderate Mariners fan. We never discussed those things.

Anyway, Fred, this one's for you. I miss you already. [Christ, I'm here balling as I write this. I've become such a baby about stuff like this. I hope I never have to speak at someone's funeral, 'cause I'd probably cry through the whole thing. I probably will have to someday though; normally I'm a good pubic speaker]

No comments: