Monday, December 19, 2005

Drink the Kool-Aid

I drank the Kool-Aid.

On Friday I predicted, outloud to a witness, that the Seahawks were going to the Superbowl.

There were a few moments on Sunday when I was sure I'd jinxed the entire season.

I wonder what it is about my brain that believes these irrational bits of thought, time and time again. Of course I know that nothing I do can affect the game. Well, I believe in the home field advantage, and I believe the crowd can affect a game, but that's different. I don't believe that the Hawks will win or lose depending on the jersey I wear, or whether I'm watching on TV, or whether I admit out loud that I think I'll win.

It's similar to those damned Dead Nigerian Prince emails I occasionally receive. To this very day when I read one, I get a quick rush of excitement. The fortune could be mine! But of course it's fake, and I know that.

No comments: