Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fantasy Football

Mid season update:

I'm tied for #1 in my 12 team league, and I own the tie-breaker because of more accumulated points.

Priest Holmes was my #1 pick, and he's out for the rest of the season with injury. I don't regret my choice; it was a calculated risk. Shaun Alexander, Ladainian Tomlinson, Peyton Manning were all already off the board. What I do regret was not picking up Larry Johnson with a later round pick. I took Pittsburgh, someone then took L. J.. While Pitt was a good pick, defenses are easy to grab later on, and they aren't game breakers.

Early in the season, I dropped Jake Plummer. I probably should have hung on to him. On the other hand, my wide receiver corps needed work and opening up my roster helped me get my WR corps where it is today, and I'm happy with where it is now. Also, I probably swapped Plummer for Griese who had a great early season. These things are hard to predict, and either could have gone either way.

Next year, I may avoid Defenses and kickers altogether in the draft. I'm happy with my overall strategy. I went for Running Backs with my first three picks, and only would have chosen a WR or QB if someone awesome fell. Moss, Manning, etc are worth early picks, but not if you have to reach for them. And actually, from a Fantasy perspective, neither have been that amazing, compared with Alexander, Westbrook and the usual suspects.

I've benefited by my league's punt and kick return rules. Yardage gained there equals yards gained on receptions and rushes. I picked up Dante Hall as a free agent, and he's given me 12-15 points per game, which is good for a receiver.

No comments: