Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Medical - Exam Room Thoughts II

Advantages: Further reduction of silo feeling. No more ownership of individual rooms; rather than renters of space, all services belong to a co-op and share responsibility.

More standardization, more cross leveling of work load.

Forces centralized awareness of clinical activity. Every change must be shared with the whole. For this to work, employees' loyalty must be to Children's and to all of our patients and families. Right now, most loyalties are on a departmental level. It's not unlike the shift from a confederacy to a federal system of government. I've become a Federalist. (I think that's what a Federalist is.)

(on a side note, this represents a complete mental turnaround on my part. As a PCC, I always strove to stay under the radar, away from centralized activity. Somewhere around my reading of the Toyota Way and going to Genie, I was genuinely converted.)

I need to look into co-ops and how they function.

No comments: