Saturday, February 19, 2005

Walter Jones: Yes, he is the best Seahawk, now why can't I buy his jersey?!

KIRKLAND - The Seattle Seahawks have signed All-Pro left tackle Walter Jones to a multi-year contract, the team announced Wednesday."It's a great feeling, I always wanted to stay in Seattle," said Jones, who signed the contract at home in Alabama. "My goal now is to help the team get to the next level, get to that big game, the Super Bowl.""It's a big thing for the Seahawks," said Mike Reinfeldt on the signing. "He's been such a good player, five Pro Bowls, and he's such an integral part of what we do; and I hope getting him signed gives us some momentum with the other guys. Walter's a great player, he wants to be here, he's a good team guy, he's a good guy in the lockerroom, and hopefully it sends the message to the other players that keeping it together is important to everybody."
Jones completed his eighth season in 2004 and was named to his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl, fifth career, and earned Associated Press First-Team All-Pro honors for the second time in his career (2001).
The Seahawks named Jones their franchise player from 2002-04, spending each offseason unable to agree to a long-term deal until today. "It feels kind of weird," said Jones on not facing another franchise tag. "You never know what's going to happen when the season is over, and I got the call yesterday that the deal was done, and I'm glad that it got taken care of."Not having to use the franchise tag on Jones gives the Seahawks more leverage in some of the other free agent negotiations going on.
Originally selected by the Seahawks as the sixth overall pick in the 1997 draft, Jones has started all 122 career games played at left tackle.And of course, this means a return to Cheney and training camp this summer for Walter. "I'm going to have to ask some of the guys what to do once I get there, I haven't been there in so long," said Jones. "But I'm looking forward to it."

Suddenly I love Walter Jones. He's the ultimate side kick to the starting quarterback. His job is to watch the QB's back, and he's (arguably) the best there is at what he does. Even when he skips training camp, he works out at home and shows up ready to play when the season starts. That's the perfect balance between the individual and the team. He wanted his money, but he didn't let his profession suffer as a result.

I want his jersey, but I guess they don't make jersey's of offensive linemen, even when they're among the best in the league.

No comments: