Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fonts

I've developed an eye for fonts, and it's a blessing and a curse. I'm not a giant fan of Arial, but it's reasonable enough. Mostly it's a Helvetica rip-off, and there's nothing wrong with Helvetica.

I want to like Georgia, but the spacing isn't quite right, and the C and h of my name kinda run together.

My favorite font is Gotham, which is probably best known for its use on the Obama campaign materials; it's also the new official font for the Seattle Children's logo.

Now, whenever I walk (or ride) down the street, I see how many different fonts we're surrounded by. Many are bolded, italicized, some logos are a mixture of different fonts; many are pure ugly, many clash with each other. Some are exceptionally cold and inhuman. That's the cure. The blessing is that I've learned to see another layer in the world. Most of us never even think about fonts, let alone notice and admire them. Yet, they stare us in the face, almost constantly.

I'm going to go and stare at the Gotham font some more. It calms me, like a beer and a sunset.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always thought you might be a closet font-o-phile, heh. Gotham is nice...my fave sans-serif is Panic Sans, made by a fantastic Mac company (Panic). It's great for text editing and has super readability...also free. Harugino maro (spelling?) is used in some Japanese road signs...flows super well, and Lucida sans never disappoints. Cool noticing places where fonts deliver the message cleanly vs. those that muddy it ('comic sans' must die). Fly your font-geek flag high, comrade!

Anonymous said...

Odd, my openid login changed my name on that post into some unintelligible Cthuluan war-cry. Ah, technology.