Saturday, June 23, 2007

I Love the Internet: Pirates of Silicon Valley; Michael Moorcock; Stumble

Last week I found The Pirates of Silicon Valley on Youtube. It's there in 10 minute chunks, so you can watch as you want.

If this is new to you, Pirates is a made for cable (TNT, I think) biography telling the origin of Bill Gates/Microsoft and Steve Jobs/Apple. There is surely dramatic license taken, and both Bill and Steve are portrayed as broken people, I found it both informative and entertaining. Apparently Xerox is responsible for the modern look of computing. Their corporate office didn't know the power of what their west coast team had developed, and allowed Apple to steal it away. Then Gates and his crew snuck in and stole it from Apple. That's how MacIntosh and Windows were born.

Just today I found two articles by Michael Moorcock which describe his opinions on Tolkien, Heinlein and many other science fiction writers of his day.

The first is "Starship Troopers," the second I've lost in the Ether of the internet, but it has something to do with Tolkien and Winnie the Pooh. Michael Moorcock is something of an anarchist, so he takes issue with the authoritarian themes in these popular writers; he also takes issue with the quality of the actual writing. While I haven't been persuaded to toss out my Tolkien, he makes some valid points worth considering.

I've also been using the Stumble add-on to my Firefox browser entirely too much. The damned thing is as addictive as hell. It turns out you can set your profile to 'adult' if you want to see the naughty stuff....

No comments: