Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Minor injury

My knee has been acting up for a couple of months, and not in the usual way. Before, it only ached when I ran too many hills, or overdid some other way. I've learned that it's best not to increase frequency, speed and distance all at the same time.

Lately my right knee's been sore even after relatively short and slow runs, even when I'm not overdoing it whatsoever.

I went to the doctor yesterday and learned that I have Runner's Knee. Thankfully, it isn't major, and I can keep running while I do exercises to strengthen my interior quad, which will, in turn, keep my kneecap in the right place. I'm also wearing my brace with every run, and keeping my distance steady, and avoiding hard surfaces when I can.

Grass is softer than the road. The road is softer than the sidewalk. I didn't know that last one before.

Today's run was good. I ran to the I90 overpass, wore my brace, didn't go too fast, avoided the sidewalk when I could, and I feel good. I also stretched my anterior muscles (hamstrings and calves) before and after.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dork. I have mined your blog for a way to email you not at your work email, but at some non-work email. Then I mined my email accounts cuz I thought I had one for you somewhere in there. I'm now giving up and posting this silly message to your 'minor injury' post - which I haven't read yet. so anyway. I sent one to your work email but I figure you're gone for the day and won't see it until Monday and somehow I will just have to learn to live with that. (sigh) Regards to your lovely fiance. Alex. alex_ander_moreno@yahoo.com